Thursday, July 24, 2008

My Comcast Afternoon

As I said in my last post concerning my Internet saga my next scheduled appointment was July 21, which was Monday. On Monday I called to make sure someone was actually going to come and I was informed that when they are scheduled to bury a cable they have 7 days to complete it. Once she said that I realized that one of the about 20 people with Comcast that I have spoken to had told me that. And she couldn't really hear me because of my sucky cell phone so there was no point in yelling at her.

So then today I decided to call and remind them they were running out time. The poor guy that answered my phone call. He first told me that it could 4-6 WEEKS because the city had to come out and mark where water, electricity and gas are. At that point I went off about how I had already been without service for a month and if it going to take that long to take care of it I should have been told that upfront. He didn't bother to read enough of my account to see that I had been without service for a month and then went back to work. So he agreed to send a "high level" tech this afternoon. This tech called my cell phone when he got to my house and it was actually the same guy as the last time and he still couldn't do anything. The big problem is that because I am in a townhouse there are 3 sidewalks between me and the cable box. He seemed annoyed that they hadn't done it yet and when he called dispatch he was told they 72 hours from the scheduled appointment to complete it. Notice this is different than the 7 days or 4-6 weeks I have been told. He told me they would be contacting me to bury the cable and to keep his cell phone number and call him if I didn't hear from them and he would harass them to do it.

At that point I was really frustrated because then I didn't even have any kind of time frame of when it would be fixed. Not that it had mattered up to this point but still I was frustrated with that idea. And I gave up on the idea that I was going to have it back in time for the Olympics so I was wondering which of my friends I could crash for 2 weeks to watch.

So I imagine my surprise when an hour and twelve minutes later I received another call from a different Comcast tech who called to tell me he had buried a new cable. I was in shock. He offered that I didn't have to come home and he could tell from his laptop that my modem had a signal. I definitely wanted to come home, I almost didn't believe him - not that I thought he was lying to me but it seemed so unbelievable. I came home and saw that I did in fact have cable and Internet service. YEAH!! What he really did was just bury it under the sidewalks and then did the hid the cable in the bushes the rest of the way. He said they would come out and finish burying it in a few weeks. I am not holding my breath but I don't really care when they come.

All three of the Comcast people I talked to today acknowledged that I had been a victim of poor customer service. Yeah, no kidding, I think I noticed that. Tomorrow I am going to call and tell them I am not paying my current bill because the dates it covers I didn't actually have service. And I am working on the cell phone issue.

And now I can move on to posting about real things without going into work to do it.

No comments: