Sunday, August 17, 2008

What's New with Me

Since joining Facebook a lot of my college friends have asked "What's new with you?" or some variation of that. Seeing that it has been 7 years I don't really feel like that question can be answered on a Facebook wall so I decided to do this instead. These aren't necessarily new, but new since the last time I talked to many of my college friends.

Two months after graduating from Calvin I took a job in Denver and moved there. I love living in Denver. And although I haven't gotten into skiing, I love the mountains and all the fun things they have to offer. I enjoy hiking and camping and this winter I went snow-shoeing for the first time and I hope to do more of that next winter. I also love the weather in Denver. I didn't know that it was possible for the sun to shine every day ~ the first month I lived in Denver I was constantly amazed that the sun was out every single morning. That is something I have gotten used to and I don't know if I could go back to never seeing the sun. And although I miss having lakes around I don't miss the humidity. So there are no plans of moving back.

I ended up hating the job that first brought me to Denver and for a long time I felt stuck and didn't really know what I wanted to do. After 5 years I decided to leave and attempt a career change to which God responded "Sorry I don't think so." So I returned to engineering but the job I now do is much different than my previous job so it fits me and my personality much better. I now design heating and cooling systems in commercial buildings, and in the last month I have started to learn a little plumbing. In addition to the job itself being better I really enjoy the people I work with and the guys I work for.

I started doing Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) in the Young Adults Class in Denver when I first moved to Denver and have absolutely loved it. Now I am a discuss leader which is a role that I am not a natural at because I don't really see myself as a leader but I have really enjoyed it and God has used to it challenge me and help me grow.

And lastly, the thing that really is new. In October I am going on a mission's trip with my church to Zambia. We are going to work with a children's orphanage there. The goal is use what we do for a living there but seeing how electricity isn't reliable there isn't the need for heating and cooling so I am not sure what exactly I will be doing. But I will see Africa and the impact of AIDS first hand.

Oh, and don't worry - I am still a Detroit Red Wings fan and I am not afraid to show my true colors. The two times the Wings have won the Stanley Cup are the only two times I wish I was back in Detroit.

So what's new with you?

1 comment:

Thursday said...

AND in the past 7 years you went to Europe. I think that's pretty big.